A Classic favorite for soup lovers! Cremy and hearty at the same time.
Watch me make Baked Potato Soup here or continue
A BIT ABOUT THE PROCESS-The way this soup is made is slightly different than other processes you may have seen for making soup.
A couple things to note about Baked Potato Soup
The potatoes will need to be boiled until tender. I did use chicken broth here because I tend to always have it on hand however, vegetable broth would be great as well. When using either, make note of the color of your particular broth. Whether using chicken or vegetable broth, if the color isn't mostly clear, this will have an effect on the shade- not the taste of your soup. If you don't mind, disregard this mention but it is good to note.
You will need to make a roux
The thickness of the soup is contributed by the use of roux....which may seem scary but it's really not. A roux is just equal parts butter and flour, cooked just slightly, and acts as the thickening agent to a sauce. For this step, you'll make the roux, add the milk of your choice, heavy cream, and then add the potato-onion broth.
Since this is a baked potato soup, the toppings are very important here...bacon, cheese, green onions, or chives, and even a little soup cream takes this soup from simple to over the top.
Enjoy this Baked Potato Soup!
MORE SAVORY SOUPS!!!Print
A Classic favorite for soup lovers!
2 lbs Russet potatoes, chopped evenly
2 ½ cups chicken broth
1 cup water
½ cup heavy cream
½ cup onion
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Add chicken broth and water to a pot and bring to a rolling bowl. Reduce heat and add in potatoes, cooking just until potatoes are tender.
2. Remove potatoes and liquid from heat. In the same pot, sauté onions in a bit of olive oil.
3. Remove onions and add to potatoes with liquid. In the same pot, make a quick roux by combining butter with flour. Cook for for about 1 minute.
4. Add reserved ingredients to roux; simmer for about 10 minutes until mixture has thickened slightly. Add heavy cream.
5. Serve and top with your favorite toppings.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes