This black bean soup is wonderful!!! There are so many amazing spices and if you really let it cook slowly, it really gives the flavor profiles a chance to evolve. Make this soup personal by adding some extra special cheese. Cotija cheese would be a great addition as well as Manchego!
MORE SATISFYING SOUPS!!!Print
Hearty Black Bean and Lentil Soup
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings
A hearty soup filled with beans and lentils. You can make this soup even more over the top by adding some fun toppings like salsa or pico, sour cream, and a variety of cheeses.
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
2 cups water
3 cans black beans rinsed and drained
1 cup corn
½ cup lentils
3 tsp ground cumin
3 tsp onion powder
2 tsp granulated garlic
2 tsp chili powder
***if you have onion, chop and cook ¼ cup onion and add it to the soup with the lentils
- In a large stock pot add black beans, broth, and spices. Cover and cook on low heat for 45 minutes, stir periodically.
- Add lentils and water, continue to cook on low for 45 minutes.
- Ladle 2 cups of beans with liquid into a measuring cup. Allow cooling time if possible. Pulse in a food processor until beans have reduced in size and liquid has combined with beans. Return mixture to pot.
- Add corn and continue cooking on low for 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add desired toppings.
*If you find that your beans are drying out...Add a bit more water or broth at a time, continue the cooking process.
For the topping I used fresh cilantro, salsa, cheddar cheese, and sour cream.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
This will be my dinner this week. Hopefully, I can find the Lentils.
Handy Chef says
That sounds great! Let me know how it goes!