These fluffy pumpkin pancakes are super decadent, moist on the inside, golden and buttery on the outside-everything a pancake should be. They are made entirely from scratch and all you need is a bowl and a whisk to bring this mixture together.
- Dry Ingredients- a mixture of all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- Buttermilk- makes the pancakes extra fluffy and adds moisture
- Pumpkin Puree-pureed sugar pumpkin gives the pancakes their flavor
- Eggs-binds all of the ingredients together
- Melted Butter- acts as another binding agent; adds moisture and butter flavor to the pancakes
How to make Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes
The equipment you will need to make these is a mixing bowl, a whisk, and a spoon to transfer the batter from bowl to griddle. Start by adding the dry ingredients into a bowl; give it a good mix to ensure everything is incorporated. Next, make a well in the center of the bowl and add the melted butter and egg. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients by mixing the wet and the dry together with the whisk. Add the milk to the center of the well and continue mixing until all ingredients are incorporated and the batter is fully wet.
It is alright if you have some small lumps in the batter, it's better to have small lumps than to overmix, you don't want your pancakes to be tough. The final step is to fold in the pumpkin puree.
The most notable substitution that can be made for fluffy pancakes has to do with buttermilk and here's how to do it:
Substitution for buttermilk: This recipe calls for ¾ cup of buttermilk-If you need to sub buttermilk you can use ¾ cup whole milk and 2 teaspoons plus ¼ teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar. I have not tried this with any other type of milk so I am not sure what the result would be.
It’s quite easy to diversify fluffy pumpkin pancakes. Adding ½ teaspoon of my pumpkin pie spice can add another layer of flavors if you’d like some added spice inside your pancakes. When I created these, I loved having my added spice drizzle down from the top which came from the whipped cream I made.
This exact same mix can be made as waffles! Simply ladle the mixture onto a waffle iron and let heat do the work! I’m a waffle fanatic so I love having this as an option as well!
What toppings can I put on fluffy pumpkin pancakes?
There are so many options as to what you can top your pumpkin pancakes with. The picture below shows spiced whipped cream and maple syrup. To make the spiced whipped cream, I simply whipped together ¼ teaspoon of my pumpkin pie spice to ¼ teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons of confectioner's sugar.
You can also create spiced butter using a similar process. Additionally, you can top the pancakes with anything you would regularly use for pancakes!
If you make this recipe please rate and review on the recipe card below. I would love for you to tag me on Instagram @belovedplate https://www.instagram.com/belovedplate/Print
Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 pancakes 1x
Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes are a festive treat for a Fall breakfast. Pair these with a spiced whipped cream & maple syrup to top it all off!
1 cup buttermilk
½ cup pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
¾ teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
- Combine flour, baking soda, paking powder, and sugar into a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add in buttermilk, egg, and melted butter; slowly incorporating the dry ingredients into the wet ingredient. Mix well, small lumps in the batter is alright.
- Coat a heated pan or griddle with butter before cooking the pancakes. Once many tiny bubbles have formed on top of the pancakes, they should be ready to flip (about 2-3 minutes). Once flipped pancakes should be golden brown. Cook pancakes for another 1-2 minutes on the other side. Both sides should be golden brown.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Griddled
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 Pancakes
- Calories: 439
- Sugar: 14.6 g
- Sodium: 1226 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Carbohydrates: 66.9 g
- Protein: 14.3 g
- Cholesterol: 121.7 mg
Keywords: pumpkin pancakes, fluffy pumpkin pancakes, buttermilk pumpkin pancakes
Leave a Reply