Rose Infused Cinnamon Rolls with Hibiscus Cream Cheese Frosting are so incredibly fragrant, delicious, sweet, and fluffy.
For the dough:
1 cup rosewater, heated to 115 degrees farenheit
2 1/2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
1/3 cup salted butter
4 cups flour + 1/4 cup if needed
1/2 cup sugar, divided
1 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 salted butter, softened
2 tablespoons cinnamon
For the frosting:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon concentrated hibiscus water
3/4 teaspoon vanilla paste
- Coat a separate bowl with a mild oil or butter and set aside. Pour 1/2 cup warm rosewater (heated to 115-120) degrees farenheit and yeast into the bowl of a stand mixer (attached with a dough hook) along with a tablespoon of sugar (doesn't need to be exact; let stand for 5 minutes. Add remaining sugar, salt, eggs, butter, and flour to the bowl. Mix until just combined, do not mix for more than 1 minute. If mixture sticks to the bowl, add additional flour until dough easily comes off the sides of the mixing bowl. Place dough in the bowl and leave to proof for 30 minutes in a warm place. A good practice is to turn the oven on the lowest temperature, turn the oven off once it heats, then allow the dough to rise in the oven.
- Make the filling by mixing vanilla paste, butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl; set aside.
- Once the dough is finished rising, roll it out onto a well-floured surface into a sheet that measures approximately 24x15 inches. Using a spatula, spread the cinnamon-sugar mixture carefully onto the dough. Starting with the long side of the dough, roll it into a cylinder. Prepare to make 12 rolls- using a knife, gently make indentations where you would like to slice the dough beforehand then slice the dough into rolls. Place the rolls in a 9x13 baking pan before letting them rise in a warm place for an additional 30 minutes.
- Bake the rolls at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes while the frosting is made. To make the frosting, combine vanilla paste, hibiscus water, cream cheese, and powdered sugar and mix until smooth. If you want the frosting pink, see the note below.
- Top hot rolls with frosting and enjoy!
How to make the frosting pink-I bloomed 1 cup of dried hibiscus in 1 cup of hot water, steeped it for 5 minutes, then used 2 teaspoons of the highly concentrated liquid to color the frosting. The trick is not to add too much, otherwise, your frosting will be too thin.
- Prep Time: 90 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cinnamon roll
- Calories: 461
- Sugar: 45.3 g
- Sodium: 317.4 mg
- Fat: 13.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 79.4 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 64.9 mg
Keywords: cinnamon roll, cinnamon rolls, cinnamon bun