I say that my recipes are “quick and easy” without sacrificing flavor all the time but these pinwheels are literally some of the easiest little things you can throw together. Italian meats and cheese lie atop puff pastry that has been adorned with a flavorful bell pepper and onion spread.
Puff pastry-tender. light, and super flaky dough
Cold cuts-I only used salami and ham here but the possibilities are endless
Sliced cheese-provolone was used in this recipe but there's so much flexibility
Aromatic vegetables- a blend of sauteed onions and bell peppers add a special touch
Fresh herbs-oregano and thyme were added as a welcomed addition to the sauce
Tomato sauce-fancied up a bit with some olive oil, salt, pepper, a tiny amount of sugar, and fresh herbs
Steps to make Stromboli Pinwheels
- Make onion/bell pepper mixture in a small pan and set aside
- Make sure you defrost the puff pastry with ample time before you get ready to add your toppings. Another piece of prep work you'll want to complete beforehand is chopping all of the vegetables and making the marinara sauce.
- When working with the dough, after all of the toppings have been added, roll everything tightly together. Working fast during this process is going to be key.
- In order to slice the raw dough with the filling inside you will need the sharpest serrated knife you can find. This is also why it is a good idea not to overstuff the dough, doing so will make the entire thing harder to cut.
- Returning the rolled stromboli to the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes before baking will make it easier to slice. Alternatively, you could return it to the freezer for 4-5 minutes and the same result can be achieved.
How to make the marinara sauce
This step is an easy but super important one for this dish. It is the perfect accompanying dipping sauce that adds a great contrast to the pinwheels.
- Heat the sauce in a small saucepan
- Add in the chopped herbs, olive oil, a pinch of sugar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat these ingredients over the stove for 10-15 minutes on low heat.
- Allow the sauce to cool to room temperature before serving alongside the pinwheels.
Tips for success
Since all of the meat and cheese you need will be pre-sliced, virtually no time is spent gathering or preparing ingredients for this portion of the dish. Feel free to increase the amount of toppings here and add however much you see fit. Bear in mind that puff pastry can be delicate so you may not want to overload the dough with toppings.
Stromboli Pinwheels are pretty versatile! You can change any of the meats and cheeses to your particular taste and customize as you'd like. Pepperoni would be a welcomed addition to this spread as well as Capicola and a wide range of other Italian cold cuts.Print
Sliced meats, cheese, bell peppers, and onions paired with a herb-filled marinara sauce make for a fun snack or appetizer.
1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted
2 slices of tavern ham
2 slices genoa salami
2 slices mozzarella cheese
¼ cup bell pepper chopped
¼ onion chopped
½ cup tomato sauce
1 large sprig of fresh oregano, chopped
2 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves removed from stem
3 tbsp olive oil, separated
¼ teaspoon sugar
salt and pepper to taste
- Make marinara sauce by emptying tomato sauce into a small saucepan. Add fresh herbs, salt, pepper, sugar, and olive oil; simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes. Let cool
- Saute onions and bell pepper in a small pan with a tablespoon of olive oil until vegetables are tender. Spread vegetable mixture into a thin, even layer on top of puff pastry. Add sliced meat and cheese. Roll into a cylinder and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Quickly slice rolled stromboli into even slices. Lay each slice on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake pinwheels for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown before removing from oven to let cool.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Serving Size: 1 pinwheel
- Calories: 363
- Sugar: 2.2 g
- Sodium: 650.3 mg
- Fat: 22.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.9 g
- Protein: 22.5 g
- Cholesterol: 43.2 mg
Keywords: stromboli, stromboli pinwheels