I think this may just be my favorite drink of the summer. It has some of my most cherished flavors all in one drink. What makes this drink so unique is the simple syrup that's actually easy to make but not so simple because of the complex flavors...so here's how you make it:
Watch me make Summer Watermelon Fizz here:
- Watermelon-the main ingredient that provides the juice for this beverage
- Fresh squeezed lime juice-increases the intensity of the other flavors and adds a bit of tanginess
- Mint- adds a refreshing, yet non-overpowering taste that adds to the overall flavor profile of the drink
- Fresh ginger-used to make the ginger mint simple syrup, use a generous amount to increase the flavor
- Cane sugar-used to make the simple syrup that sweetens this drink
- mineral water-this ingredient adds the fizz and makes the drink more soda-like
How to make the simple syrup
Simmer FRESH GINGER in water for about 15 minutes to make sure the ginger is nicely infused into the water. Taste the water at this point and make sure the ginger flavor is to your liking. I absolutely love the spicy nature that ginger brings in so I might let mine simmer a bit longer on any given day. The water will probably have reduced during this process so this may be an excellent time to add more water if needed. You'll need 1 ½ cups to make the drink so check to see how much you have. Then add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Add in the mint to infuse the flavor and continue simmering for 5 minutes. It may seem like a lot of work to make a drink but I promise, it'll be worth it in the end!!!!
Make the most of your time
While your ginger simmers, it would be a good time to blend and strain the watermelon and juice the limes.
After the syrup, all that's left is to combine all the other ingredients and you'll have yourself quite an enjoyable summer sipper!
One last tidbit
Don't forget to rim your glass with lime juice and Tajin and top your drink with Topo Chico; that little bit of spicy lime from the Tajin adds to the uniqueness of this watermelon fizz and makes it SO MUCH FUN!
Summer Watermelon Fizz-a fabulous watermelon summer drink that has a ginger mint simple syrup, lime juice, and tart & spicy rim.
6 cups watermelon Juice
½ cup lime juice, fresh squeezed
4 pack Topo Chico
Tajin to rim the glass
1 ½ cups ginger mint simple syrup (see below):
3 cups water
2 cups sugar
2-3 inches fresh ginger
A few sprigs of mint
- Make ginger mint simple syrup: Slice ginger; simmer ginger in three cups of water in a small saucepan for 15 minutes or until the water has reduced to two cups. Add sugar and mint, stir to dissolve, and simmer for 15 additional minutes until the mixture has reduced slightly. You should be left with about 1 ½ cups simple syrup. Remove ginger and mint; cool completely. Juice limes. Blend watermelon and strain juice.
- Remove juice from limes. Blend watermelon and strain juice. Combine lime juice, watermelon juice, and simple syrup in a pitcher, stir. Rim glasses with lime juice and Tajin. Pour watermelon juice mixture into individual glasses, top with Topo Chico.
Half of one 12oz bottle of topo chico makes two drinks. Combine half of a Topo Chico bottle with the desired amount of watermelon juice mixture.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes