Coconut French Toast is a real breakfast treat that is made with brioche bread and my very own homemade mixture of delicious coconut granola. It's a classic French toast recipe that uses some of my favorite ingredients, perfect for coconut lovers! Crunchy, toasty, and nutty are all words I can use to describe this delicious dish.
The bread is cooked to perfection and is crunchy on the outside and tender within. It has the perfect blend of ingredients without that eggy texture that French Toast sometimes has. Since French Toast comes together so quickly, it's ideal for a larger crowd. My favorite way to enjoy this delectable breakfast is with warm, pure maple syrup. If you're a coconut fan, making this coconut crusted French toast is a must!
Brioche bread- a soft, fluffy French bread that is very tender and is high in egg and butter content
Heavy cream, Coconut Milk, and Eggs create an egg mixture and act as the base for the French Toast
Coconut granola- creates the crunchy element and coats the outside
Vanilla Extract-enhances the flavors of all the other ingredients
Salt- breaks down the molecular compound of the other ingredients and blends everything together
Key Equipment Needed
- Whisk-highly needed to blend the eggs together with the heavy cream
- Small blender- to pulverize the coconut granola, making it easier to coat the bread
- Large bowl-to house the egg mixture
- Nonstick griddle-the perfect way to ensure the French Toast has enough room to cook evenly
- Shallow dish-to dip the bread
How to make Coconut Granola
The main ingredient in this recipe is the "coconut crunch" element. This is what will need to be prepared the day before. Follow the link below to get detailed instructions on how to make this. The best part about this granola is that it keeps for such a long time and that it has a variety of different uses.
Follow this link to make the super simple recipe.
As with most recipes, it is extremely beneficial to begin with any prep work. This will streamline the cooking process. Overall, French toast comes together in about 10-15 minutes and this recipe is no different.
The most important part of the prep work is to make the granola. Once this has been completed at least the day before, use an electric blender to chop the coconut granola into tiny pieces and set them aside.
If your bread is not pre-sliced, slice them into 1-inch thick slices.
Preheat the griddle to medium heat while you create the egg mixture.
Using a medium-sized bowl, add the eggs, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk everything together before slowly adding the heavy cream, coconut milk, and vanilla extract whisking rapidly. Set this mixture aside or transfer it to a shallow dish. Additionally, place the blended granola on a plate and the slices of bread on another plate.
First, prepare the griddle by preheating it. Before cooking, coat the griddle with cooking spray or butter.
Place each slice of bread into the batter for no more than a few seconds before flipping the slice to the other side and allowing it to soak up the batter. Place the soaked slices onto the granola, and apply a bit of gentle pressure so that each side is evenly coated. Transfer the crusted slices onto the prepared griddle or hot pan. Turn the heat up to medium-high when all slices are down. Cook on each side for 3-4 minutes; the slices should be golden brown on both sides.
Enjoy this Coconut French Toast immediately.
How to store Coconut French Toast
The best way to store this coconut french toast is after it has reached room temperature in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
What to serve with Coconut Crunch French Toast
This dish would be wonderful served with extra coconut flakes, fresh fruit such as berries, or even macadamia nuts on top. As mentioned above, the best way to enjoy this crunchy coconut French Toast is with a healthy drizzle of maple syrup.
If you really want to get creative, you can make your own coconut syrup by adding 1 tablespoon of butter, ½ cup of brown sugar, and ½ cup of creamy coconut milk to a small saucepan. Reduce the mixture by cooking it on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes or until the liquid is thicker and syrupy.
There are several substitutions that can be used especially when it comes to heavy cream. Half and half is the most desirable substitute followed by full-fat milk or other milk of choice.
If you don't have a griddle, I would recommend using a large non-stick pan and cooking the French toast in batches. If using this method, use a warm oven to keep the bread warm in the meantime.
Full-fat coconut milk would also be another welcomed substitution as it would add to the coconut flavor
Make this fluffy French toast a vegan French toast recipe by using a vegan egg, milk, and bread substitute. The granola itself is already considered vegan as it uses no animal products whatsoever. The same measurements will apply!
If you make this recipe please rate and review it on the recipe card below. I would love for you to tag me on Instagram @belovedplate https://www.instagram.com/belovedplate/
More breakfast items to love!Print
Coconut French toast is made with homemade coconut granola and fluffy brioche bread. Coconut fans will love this tasty breakfast treat!
4 slices brioche bread, sliced 1 inch thick
½ cup +¼ cup coconut granola
¾ cup coconut milk
½ cup heavy cream
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
- Make the coconut granola the day before.
- Use an electric blender to chop the coconut granola into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- If your bread is not pre-sliced, slice them into 1-inch thick slices.
- Preheat the griddle to medium heat while you create the egg mixture.
- Using a medium-sized bowl, add the eggs, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk everything together before adding the heavy cream slowly, whisking rapidly. Set this mixture aside or transfer it to a shallow dish. Additionally, place the blended granola on a plate and the slices of bread on another plate.
- Before cooking, coat the griddle with cooking spray or butter. Place each slice of bread into the batter for no more than 2 seconds before flipping the slice to the other side and allowing it to soak up the batter.
- Place the soaked slices onto the granola, and apply a bit of gentle pressure so that each side is evenly coated.
- Transfer the crusted slices onto the prepared griddle or hot pan. Turn the heat up to medium-high when all slices are down.
- Cook on each side for 3-4 minutes; the slices should be golden brown on both sides. Enjoy immediately!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Griddled
- Cuisine: French, American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 232
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 351.4 mg
- Fat: 10.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.5 g
- Protein: 6.9 g
- Cholesterol: 83.9 mg
Keywords: coconut French toast, french toast, coconut granola