This Creamy Chicken Piccata is a creamy version of an Italian classic. It's super simple, ready in minutes, and is easy to make. Breading the chicken starts the foundation of this dish and acts as the vehicle for all the creamy sauce to soak into. The briny flavor of capers is part of what makes it such a classic.
Watch me make Creamy Chicken Piccata...or continue below!
Steps to make Creamy Chicken Piccata
After the chicken has cooked and the lemon juice, capers, and heavy cream have been added; be sure to sprinkle in the flour. Leaving large clumps of flour in the liquid will cause it not to thicken and instead you will be left with balls of flour and a runny sauce. Additionally, when preparing a dish using this method, sometimes I'll use a whisk to make sure everything is nice and smooth.
Alternatively, you could sprinkle the flour after the capers are in the pan, creating a coating around them, and then add the lemon juice and cream. This would have a great result as well. Choose whichever option you feel more comfortable with.
How to serve this dish
This Creamy Chicken Piccata would be great over rice or any starchy side dish. My personal favorite way to enjoy this (and a lot of things) is over roasted red potatoes. Adding lemon slices to the sauce gives it an extra bit of tang and the acidity helps bring everything together. Save the parsley for last and use it at the very end for a finishing touch.
Enjoy this Creamy Chicken Piccata!!
A creamy version of an Italian classic. It's super simple and easy to make.
4 chicken breasts
salt, pepper, and garlic powder
flour for dredging
olive oil for the pan
parsley for garnish
For the sauce:
3 tablespoons capers
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon flour
2 tbsp lemon juice
- Sprinkle chicken with seasonings.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg and set aside. Prepare to flour the chicken by creating a different space with flour on a plate.
- Dredge chicken in flour, egg, then flour again.
- Pour a bit of olive oil in the pan, add the chicken, and cook completely (it should be golden brown on both sides).
- Remove chicken from pan.
- Add capers, chicken broth, and lemon juice and simmer for 1-2 minutes. This helps release some of the flavor from the capers into the liquid.
- Add the heavy cream.
- Add in flour a little at a time and stir after each time more flour is added. Let the mixture simmer until it has thickened slightly.
- Add chicken back to pan and let it heat for about 5 minutes.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
More Enticing Chicken Recipes!!